Wednesday, September 24, 2008

this little piggie went to market


Even though I suffer from sporadic explosions of interest in the entire circus aesthetic, I've always been secretly terrified of them. The reason is three fold:

1) As a child, I saw Dumbo and it forever ruined any circus-related enjoyment due to the onslaught of crippling grief it instigated.
2) In high school my boss at the independent bookstore brought in the authors of The Circus Fire and some of the remaining survivors to walk us through the harrowing tragedy that occurred in Hartford in 1944 as the Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus tent caught on fire trapping thousands of people and hundreds of animals inside.
3) Junior High. School Carnival. Creepy pervy janitor dresses up as clown to make balloon animals but is forced to return to his day job half way through the festivities when some kid pukes mountain dew and cotton candy all over the stage. I am suddenly confronted in an abandoned hallway with a crazed clown running towards me at high speed, ready to use the mop as a javelin to prevent any congealment of said vomit.*

Traumatizing childhood events aside, I still harbor an ardent love of the yellow/red combination, think tightwalkers are insanely sexy and giggle with delight whenever someone hands me a balloon fastened into a giraffe. 

Perhaps that's why I am so enamored with this piggy (doggie) bank. Well, that and I REALLY love Jeff Koons Fun, yet practical. Whimsical yet glamourous. And SO much better than that ugly oversized pig I had the honor of gift-wrapping for a VIP who shall remain nameless but may or may not have their own media empire. 

I'll tell you one thing, it sure beats the old cracked mug of pennies on my bookshelf!


*Also around this time, I was trapped at a slumber party where the featured films were The Poltergeist and IT

Image: Artlook

No comments: