Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Tables R Us


I'm not sure why I insist on repainting every piece of wooden furniture that comes my way, but I do. I could blame it on my mother and her zealous aspirations to what she calls the 'early americana' aesthetic, causing our home to look like the Amish were running a presidential campaign but I will restrain myself. Really though, how many wooden objects painted with a faded American flag can one handle? One time I joked that we had so much wooden furniture in the house, we'd have nothing left if I chose to start playing with matches and she actually teared up at the thought.  I had to explain I wasn't actually a moral deviant plotting to burn our house down and she put the box of matches high up on top of the refrigerator where I could not reach them.

But I digress.

I came across this table today and even though the honey colored wood is quite beautiful, I cannot help but picture it painted a bright green and used as an occasional table. Or perhaps it's screaming to be coated robin's egg blue and used as a bedside table. Maybe I would simply dip it in a glossy white, situate it in between two comfy armchairs and declare it my new tea table. Black and in the entryway? Red as a small desk? I could go on and on...


3 comments:

mia c said...

amish running a presidential campaign! ha ha ha!

mia c said...

also speaking of tables, i got two old wooden industrial electric-cable spools at the flea market this weekend for $10 and they are now my new end tables in the living room. I should take pictures. But you will see it soon in person.

Sadie Menchen said...

This post made me laugh out loud. Several times.