Thursday, June 4, 2009

Fly, butterfly, Fly!


One of my best friends in college went through a period where she wore head-to-toe pink-glittery pink eyeshadow, tank top, sweater, scarf, jacket, pants, shoes. Pink. Pink. Pink.

I loved her look. She made a statement. She was saying 'Pink is my favorite color'. (Aerosmith's 'Pink' was literally her favorite song.) Sometimes I prefer a little more surprise in my aesthetic statements. Sometimes I want normal, normal, normal, NOT NORMAL. For example, my junior year prom dress was a deep Indian teal with hot pink crinoline that really came in handy when it was time to can-can. (I joke. I spent most of my prom hanging out in the bathroom and huddled in a corner drinking peach schnapps we had stolen from our parents' poorly stocked liquor cabinets) At other times, I am perfectly happy to wear something completely ridiculous because I have EMBRACED the weird. Like the sequined top in the shape of a butterfly I wore for New Years a few years ago. God I love that top.

I'm not sure if you know this about me but sometimes I can be dramatic.

This living room is my sequined butterfly top. There is nothing subtle about it. From the giant window to the oversize ottoman, ornate mirror and floral wallpaper, this room screams 'I AM A GIRL'. It's the type of room I gravitate toward because it is bold and glamorous but have to make a conscious effort to stay away from because though I am hyper-feminine in my tastes, I dream of living in an apartment that is still somewhat gender neutral. You know, the type of place devoid of doillies and stuffed animals and 40,000 throw pillows that sends boys running.

Sigh. It's so hard being me.

Image: LivingEtc

1 comment:

mia c said...

on embracing the weird: I am reading an awesome YA book now called The Spectacular Now that is very Holden Caufield-esque and the narrator is all about embracing the weird. Alas, he is also drifting through his senior year of high school in an alchoholic daze. read it, I think you will love it!