Tuesday, November 16, 2010

mia mia mia mia mia

Look! It's my name!
There was a time when I hated my name because it was considered exotic in Minnesota and no one ever knew how to pronounce it. Everyone thought I was named after Mia Farrow and all I knew at the time was that she looked like a boy in Rosemary's Baby. In the early 90's, surrounded by Jennifers and Tiffanys and Melissas, I tried to convince my mom to let me change my name to Kelly Kapowski and yet she refused. How rude! I was convinced she was denying me a life that involved wearing a cheerleader uniform and spending long hours leaning against my locker talking to my hunky blonde boyfriend named Rick who would play football and take me to The Olive Garden for fancy dinners on a Friday night.

These days I like my name and it's not just because it's become more common. (10th Most Popular Female Name of 2009!) I like my name because it suits who I am now and backwards, it spells AIM which is maybe not-so-coincidentally my favorite toothpaste. Also because now I can actually find it printed on things that are not shoes.

Image: Mooza Designs

1 comment:

mia c said...

i think you forgot to mention the fact that upon meeting another Mia, and in fact living under the same stylish roof, the name thing got taken to a whole new place neither mia knew could be possible. And in fact, you can count on a Mia to take you for fancy dates to the Olive Garden, too ;)