Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Moody

People always ask me to define my style and I freak out a little and then wind up making up random phrases like 'glittery bohemian traditional'. WTF? Good thing Deborah Needleman, the founding editor-in-chief of Domino, created a Style Quiz for HomeGoods (Do you know they have a blog? And also a huge new location on the Upper West Side? Discounted fancy bath products for everyone!).

Of course I took the quiz right away and the result was...more articulate.


Mia, you are a Glamorous Classic

You have a refined sensibility with an appreciation for history and tradition in your furniture and your rooms. You value beauty and craftsmanship. You are visually sensitive and understand how symmetry and a balanced layout give order to a room. But you definitely like to shake things up with some unabashed luxury and glamour to keep things from getting boring. You go for rich materials like velvets, one-of-a-kind objects, lady-like touches, glimmering accessories, and a sense of old-Hollywood romance that makes your home dramatic and elegant.
You value creativity. You are stylish and fun loving, and can be an inspiration to others. You have a natural sense of drama, and you know you have to be willing to take risks—whether with colors, finishes, furniture choices, or ideas—for your home to stand out. Your home can be happy and lively and the place all of your friends want to be.
 Makes sense, no?

My major problem when decorating my own space is that my tastes and style vary from day to day. When I wake up in the morning and open my closet door, the first thing I have to consider when getting dressed is how I'm feeling. What's my mood? Is it a ladylike shift dress and heels kind of day? An all-black with tall boots type of day? Are my cuffed jeans and leather jacket calling me? I'm the same way with decorating. One day I want all-white modern with clean lines and the next day I want mirrored cabinets and gilded sconces. The day after that I want leopard print rugs and tufted ottomans. Black & White. No, pink and grey. Obviously coral and navy. Wait, rainbow glitter!You see where I'm going with this? I literally can never settle on a decision! It's an affliction!

Right now I'm having a hard time deciding what to do with my bedroom because I just don't know what I will want in another week or month or year. Will I regret painting the design on my wall? Probably. But I guess that's why I steered clear of wallpaper, right? The nice thing about decorating is as long as you have a good foundation, you can mix up the accessories as often as you please- which in my case will probably be every few months or so. With that in mind, let's think of some ideas using my current bedding and the faux-wallpapered wall.

Last week I posted a moodboard for my bedroom that featured a lot of blue and white. Here's what happens if I want a more natural look with warm tones:

What if I want natural materials but I need some glam rock florals?

Perhaps something more modern and graphic with green and yellow accents?

Anyone have any votes for their favorite look? What's your design style?

Images created via: Olioboard

No comments: