Thursday, December 22, 2011

Christmas Decor

This is what my tree would look like if it were left up to me. Photo via Pinterest
 Holy shit you guys, it is Christmas. How did that happen?!? Where have I been?!? I've barely had time to buy gifts this year, much less decorate our apartment, which is something I always mean to do and rarely get around to. It's just so much easier to wait and enjoy my mother's uber-decorative Christmas extravaganza at home in CT. Here's an example of what I have to look forward to:
Oh just some country angels siting next to a ceramic Christmas tree.
My favorite part of holiday decor is the abundance of all things glittery and metallic. I love how it is suddenly totally acceptable to litter a table with white glitter so long as you call it 'snow'.  In fact, my all-time favorite Christmas decoration from my childhood was a garland of gold plastic stars. My mom bough them at a Christmas fair when I was about 9 and I loved it so much that one year I covertly snatched it from the storage bins headed for our basement and hung it up in my bedroom year round. I used to drape it around my shoulders and pose in front of a mirror for hours, pretending I was the subject of an Annie Liebovitz photo. I loved it so much that I saved it when we moved from MN to CT and then again when I went to college in NY and then AGAIN when I spent the year abroad in London.

That is crazy commitment to this garland y'all. You can only fit so much into a normal-size suitcase!

Anyway, sometime after London I lost track of my gold stars and now I feel that my life is lacking and the world sucks because they are not in my life.
These are a bit fancier and craftier than my gold stars but you get the picture.. photo via Pinterest
In the meantime, I guess I'll settle for the dried cranberry garlands my mother has wrapped around her Christmas tree and hope that by this time next year I'll have my act together enough to at least acquire the best Christmas decoration ever: a silver tinsel tree.

Yes! I shall have it!
Happy Holidays!! I am off to do more wrapping but at least this time it's for my family and not random strangers!

No comments: