Monday, September 14, 2009

What's old is new again.

Doilies bring to mind fussy, floral furniture, porcelain figurines and the smell of potpourri. I used to see them arranged on tabletops and think they were more geriatric than genteel. In the golden era of my youth, when I was obsessed with my Samantha doll, Anne of Green Gables and petit fours, I might have figured out a way to incorporate them into my over-the-top style but ever since, I have been all about lacquer and lucite and jewel tones- none of which go very well with cream-colored lace.

Lately, I've had the strangest taste. I suddenly gravitate toward touches of gothic glamour and neon accents. When I found a packet of doilies at the dollar store a few weeks ago, I had the strongest urge to tape them all over my bedroom wall and then go crazy with some hot pink spray paint. This could still happen.

Am I having an identity crisis???

Perhaps I should tone it down a little with this ladylike rug from Anthropologie. It would match our walls and bring out the deep mahogany shades in our floors. I also like the scalloped edges, which would soften the sharp angles of our mantle, couch and (eventually) coffee table.

Don't tell my Nana though- I swore to her I would never have a doily in my house!

Image: Anthropologie via Oh Joy!

No comments: